I’m a Python application developer, especially HPC. Installed Mojo in late 2024, and was impressed. Gave a talk in Feb 2025 to the Canberra Python User Group which was basically “Mojo runs nearly all your existing Python code and it’s really fast!”
Had to stop for a while, but now I’m writing Mojo again. (Not being paid for it.) Delighted that I can now just pip installMojo, and that GPU support is in the standard library.
But, there are some “wait what?” changes.
First is using mut for pointer parameters, which you can read about in detail at this thread. Seems that re-creating the combinatorial complexity of C type definitions is intentional, not a bug.
And I had to change alias to comptime. Python does not have alias as an actual keyword, but the term is widely used to describe importing with a new name, and for type/class variables used in much the same way as C typedef. More formally, Python typing uses TypeAlias. The Mojo team have deprecated alias because, uh, some obscure language called Zig uses comptime? This change breaks my working program, and not for the better.
And finally (for this post) there’s the proposed? beta? change to imports from the standard library, which from now on will require qualification with std. Much discussion about Rust, and Cargo. No-one seemed to care that this would break Every. Single. Python. Program more complicated than “hello, world”.
Will write a longer post in a new thread. For now, I’m getting the impression that as a Python application developer, I’m in the wrong place.