Balsa, mojo-native Treelite reader / writer

Hello everyone,

I have been playing around with Mojo for quite a while, but now that there is a 1.0.0 release, I wanted to make my first library contribution: GitHub - idlab-discover/balsa · GitHub .

Balsa is a native Mojo library for reading, editing, validating and writing Treelite v4 checkpoints. It supports float32 and float64 models. Inference is kept out of the project. I have something else cooking to do inference. Max has lots of native support for modern DNNs, but tree-based models are staples of classical ML and have had little love.

The codebase was mostly created with GPT-6 Astra, but with lots of supervision and direction by me. I was fortunate enough that the Treelite library (python front-end, cpp back-end) provided an excellent reference implementation.
I have tested the library against treelite exports by scikit-learn, catboost, lightgbm and xgboost and they are all functional and equally speedy as the reference implementation after rounds of optimization work.

I’d love to have distribution at modular-community | prefix.dev, but I have never done this. Could someone who’s done this give a few pointers on how to publish a package there?